40 Years Ago Taken from the pages of the Dolores Star, Friday, Jan. 19, 1973 Larry and Marilyn Pleasant, Editors

Firemen were called Tuesday to the Edith Brown home on Central Avenue where smoke had been detected somewhere in the attic. A smouldering fire was found and taken care of. Firemen believed the sparks may have come from hot wiring that cold have been caused by efforts to thaw out frozen water pipes.

**************************

A warning to homeowners was issued this week by Fire Chief Wayne Carrigan concerning various means of seeking to thaw water pipes that may be frozen. The Dolores Volunteer Firemen advise against the use of a welder or other electrical device to thaw pipes.

**************************

Mrs. L. V. Hill has been taking care of the children of Mr. and Mrs. Nelson Butt while Mrs. Butt has been recuperating. The Butts are parents of a new baby daughter.

**************************

Mr. and Mrs. Grady Gardner and family were dinner guests at the home of Mr. and Mrs. Dale Johnson on Sunday evening.

**************************

Mr. and Mrs. Fred Cline entertained the Saturday night pinochle club at their home on January 13th. Those present were Mr. and Mrs. Jim Porter, Mr. and Mrs. Don McQuaid, Mr. and Mrs. Chuck Lee and Mary Jane McRae. The Lees won high for both men and women.

**************************

Bonnie Clemensen called on Myrtle Blaine in Cortez on Monday afternoon.

**************************

Mr. and Mrs. Verl McGetrick of San Luis Obispo, Calif. visited with Mrs. McGettrick's parents, Mr. and Mrs. Harold Hamilton about two weeks ago.

**************************

Mildred Denby substituted last week at the Dolores Schools for Mrs. Florence Daly who was attending her mother's funeral.

**************************

Mr. and Mrs. Lester Hamilton from El Dorado Springs, Missouri were guests at the home of Mr. and Mrs. Harold Hamilton about two weeks ago. Lester is Harold's brother.

**************************

Mr. and Mrs. Buck Cooper are in the process of moving into the rental apartment on S. 7th Street belonging to Mr. and Mrs. Merwin Akin.

**************************

Airman and Mrs. Steve Lente and daughter, Heather, spent the night and visited with the John Sturdevants at Stoner on Tuesday evening. Steve is being stationed in Guam and Melodie will be living in Cortez as soon as she has her things moved down from Mountain Home, Idaho.

**************************

All of the Jack Biard family have been down with the chicken pox, including mom and dad.

**************************

Mr. and Mrs. Joe Tibbits of Cortez visited with Mr. and Mrs. L. V. Hill on Sunday afternoon.

**************************

Callie Lofquist was pleasantly surprised last Friday with an unexpected visit by her son, Wilbur from Montrose.

**************************

Daughters of Mr. and Mrs. Aryol Brumley have been home sick since the end of December with the upper respiratory infection that has been going around the area.

**************************

Tammy Boyd has the mumps.

**************************

Jimmie Shields was a visitor at the home of Bonnie Clemensen on Tuesday afternoon.

**************************

Sherry and Rick Hernandez enjoyed dinner with Mr. and Mrs. Don Clemensen on Sunday evening.

**************************