Guinea opposition pulls out of election

A spokesman for Guinea's opposition says that it has withdrawn from the upcoming legislative election set for May 12.

Faya Millimono said the opposition coalition was pulling out to protest the government's administration of the election procedure.

He said the opposition is unhappy with preparations for the election, especially the selection of a South African company, Waymark, to draw up the list of registered voters. The company was approved by the National Electoral Commission last week and the opposition immediately protested, saying they suspected the company was open to manipulation by the government.

The election was to solidify the West African country's transition to democratic rule, after rule by the military since 2008. President Alpha Conde was elected in 2010, but the vote for the legislature has been delayed.