Bahamas search finds 1 of 2 missing men from China
Authorities searched off the Bahamas on Monday for a Chinese man who apparently became lost in rough weather during a fishing trip. Three companions were rescued.
Four men had gone out to fish around noon Sunday when they were caught in rough weather, said Inspector Chrislyn Skippings, a spokeswoman for the Royal Bahamas Police Force.
Three of the men were later rescued as they tried to get back to shore and authorities were searching the Atlantic for the remaining man.
The U.S. Coast Guard and authorities from the nearby Turks and Caicos Islands were assisting the Bahamas with the search for the two missing men.
Police initially reported the men had been in a kayak, but it was actually a raft, said Petty Officer Mark Barney, a U.S. Coast Guard spokesman.
The men had set off from Jaws Beach on the western tip of New Providence, the island that includes Nassau, the capital.
Three of the four men on board the raft were employees of China State Construction working on the Baha Mar, a resort and casino complex that is being built and financed by the Chinese government along Cable Beach near Nassau, according to Pauline Yoshihashi, a project spokeswoman.