Convicted offender accused of preying on family
Within six weeks of inviting a needy family with three daughters to move into his Cortez home, a convicted sex offender allegedly sexually abused the youngest child, an 8-year-old, multiple times, court records reveal.
Andrew Allmon, 54, of 600 N. State St. appeared before Chief District Court Judge Doug Walker Tuesday for an arraignment hearing. He was indicted last month on nine new felony counts of sexual assault on a child.
During the proceedings, Allmon indicated that he was unable to make bail on a $75,000 cash bond, but Walker still imposed a protection order for the victim, the family and any other children.
“You are not to have contact with anyone under the age of 18,” Walker told a shackled Allmon. “No contact means no contact at any time, be it through text message, phone or in writing.”
The parents of the victim told police they met Allmon in late spring at a local flea market. Court records reveal the family became friends with Allmon, and they asked if he could help pay their rent. That’s when Allmon suggested the family move into his home, and they did so on May 1, records show.
In regard to the alleged sex abuse, court records reveal the victim, under supervision of police investigators, told a counselor in mid-June that Allmon placed his hand inside her pants on numerous occasions while the two watched television. The victim added that Allmon not only touched her, but he also forced her to touch him. The alleged crimes were committed between June 3 and June 17.
Police reports show the parents trusted Allmon, describing him as a type of “grandparent.” They routinely left their daughters alone in Allmon’s care, and he would take the girls shopping two to three times a week, reports reveal.
The indictment charges Allmon with three counts of sexual assault on a child less than 15 years of age, three counts of sexual assault on a child by a person in a position of trust and three counts of sexual assault on a child with a pattern of abuse.
Allmon is listed as a convicted sex offender in Colorado, but prior to his arrest on Aug. 22, he was included neither on the Montezuma County Sheriff’s Office nor the Cortez Police Department’s online sex offender registry. Federal law requires convicted sex offenders to register with local law enforcement every quarter, including photographs and fingerprints.
Allmon was previously convicted in 2008 on charges of false imprisonment and sexual assault of a minor in San Juan County, N.M.
On Tuesday, public defender Justin Bogan requested a bond hearing for his client, which Walker set for 10:30 a.m. on Sept. 17.