Firefighters save garage structure

Resident worked in woodshop the night before

Because of quick response from fire crews, a woodworking shop was saved from destruction during a Sunday morning blaze.

The Cortez Fire Protection District was dispatched to a structure fire shortly after 7 a.m. Sunday, April 6, on the 1100 block of Highway 145.

Upon arrival, firefighters discovered an active fire inside a two-story garage, which was venting heavy smoke, according to Assistant Fire Chief Charles Balke. Crews were able to contain the fire to the first floor.

“The structure was saved, along with significant portions of the contents inside,” said Balke.

Balke explained that the structure was used as a part-time wood working business.

At the owner’s request, officials declined to release details on the cause of the blaze, other than it was accidental in nature. No one was inside the structure at the time of the fire, and no injuries were reported, said Balke.

“Crews were on scene for about two-and-a-half hours,” added Balke. “They did a phenomenal job to contain the fire.”

Owners were asleep at home when the fire ignited, fire officials said.

Balke said residents had been working inside the structure the night before.