Fire guts mobile home

Firefighters protect two homes nearby

Keywords: Cortez, Fire,

An early morning fire completely destroyed a mobile home at Kokopelli Trailer Park on Wednesday.

Cortez Fire Chief Jeff Vandevoorde said the County Road F.5 resident happened to awake to use the restroom, and noticed a glow under the front door. Upon opening the door, flames jumped from the porch into the residence.

“We got the call at 2:47 Wednesday morning,” said Vandevoorde. “By the time firefighters arrived on the scene eight minutes later, the structure was fully involved.”

Vandevoorde said both residents narrowly escaped through a back door. Their pet Chihuahua was lost in the blaze.

“No injuries were reported,” Vandevoorde said.

Vandevoorde said the cause of the fire has been ruled accidental. It’s believed an electrical lighter or smoldering cigarette ignited the fire.

Fire crews were able to protect two mobile home residences in close proximity.

“Crews were able to knock the fire down before it spread to the other homes,” Vandevoorde said.

tbaker@cortezjournal.com