House fire in Ticolote damages roof, 2nd floor

Firefighter receives nonlife-threatening injuries

A house in the Ticolote subdivision, between Durango and Bayfield, received significant damage after a fire Wednesday evening.

Firefighters from Upper Pine Fire Protection District, with support from Durango Fire & Rescue Authority, responded.

“It looked like the fire started in the chimney void space,” Upper Pine Deputy Chief Randy Larson said. “It burned through the chimney void and through the attic space.”

One Upper Pine volunteer firefighter was transported to Mercy Regional Medical Center with what Larson called nonlife-threatening injuries. Larson expects him to be released shortly, but he couldn’t release his name.

The home’s second floor and roof were also damaged. Larson estimated the damage will cost about $75,000 to repair.

Because the deputy chief went to the hospital with his firefighter, he did not know the homeowners’ names or if they have insurance.

Three engines and two tenders from Upper Pine and one tender and an ambulance from DFRA responded. Larson estimated about 12 personnel were on scene. The cause of the fire will be investigated this morning, Larson said.

The crew was still on the scene mopping up, so no further information was available at 10:20 p.m. Wednesday.