Top news from around the region
For some, it’s obvious: Why wouldn’t you meticulously plan the location of a predicted 3,000 new oil and gas wells to protect natural lands like Mesa Verde National Park and Phil’s World mountain...
The BLM has withdrawn a proposed oil-and-gas lease sale over concerns that it was too close to McPhee dam, officials say.
Parcel 7379 is a 720-acre piece of private land...
- Interim superintendent to be named
- Englehart painting missing from Journal building; police investigate
- Cortez business, construction have a robust year
- Cortez man found guilty in trespassing case
- Forest cuts recreation services, adds some
The Dolores town board agreed to help out the Montezuma County sheriff’s plan to patrol on horseback.
The town voted to allow stables to be constructed next to the...
- 40 years ago
- Sheriff refunds $40,486 to town of Dolores
- Break-out moves
- 80 years ago
- A whopper of a winter
The Journal posed five questions to the two candidates running for mayor in Mancos.
The questions offered the opportunity to highlight goals for the town and past...
- Mancos working to upgrade water system for $530,600
- La Plata County historic driving tour focuses on Old Fort Lewis campus, Aspaas homestead, Breen building
- Artisans of Mancos welcomes two artists
- Southwest Resource Advisory Council Oil and Gas Sub-group to meet Feb. 11
- Mancos preparing for April vote
A fatal stabbing occurred at a residence on the Ute Mountain Ute reservation in the early morning hours of Feb. 8, according to the U.S. Attorney’s office.
State Nation and World
Antonin Scalia, the influential conservative and most provocative member of the Supreme Court, has died
Fort Lewis College recently released its dean’s list for the fall 2015 semester. The following local students took at least 15 credits of gradable hours and achieved a...
- M-CHS students direct one-act plays Friday, Saturday
- Learning about science
- Seven books on immigrant ancestors to New England donated to Cortez library
- Education Briefs
- Having a ball
Before reading further, knock on wood.
Based on current snowpack levels in the Dolores Basin, McPhee Reservoir will fill enough to meet full water allocations for area...
- Livestock association to hold annual meeting Feb. 13
- Malheur’s aftershock
- Bayfield man named Brand Inspector of the Year
- Ute Mountain hosts ranchers at livestock symposium
- Sixth annual Western Slope Soil Health Conference coming up
Durangoans could be eating more Montezuma County vegetables this year.
In the spring, the Mancos-based Southwest Farm Fresh Cooperative will be launching a community...
- Up to 2,000 new wells are predicted for SW Colorado in the next 30 years
- Gold King owner: The future is uncertain
- Colorado Love Outdoor gear store opens on Main Street
- Paralyzed man sues Mercy over ‘reckless and dangerous conduct’
- Mercury takes on parent company’s name, Vantiv
The area of southwest Colorado referred...
As we have experienced in our area...